Here is a thought provoking documentary on the similarities and differences between the Bible and the Book of Mormon. It is a long program, but well worth the watch.
It brings out these important points:
- There is no archaeological evidence to support the location of any city named in the Americas listed in the BoM.
- There are no pottery or pottery shards to show evidence of any of the tribes named in the BoM.
- There are no independent historical evidences by surrounding civilizations that any of the tribes listed in the BoM ever existed.
- There have been no coins found from any civilization listed in the BoM.
- There are no evidences of any of the great battles fought in BoM.
- There are a few historical mistakes listed: horses did not exist in the Americas until westerners brought them from Europe; metallurgy did not exist in the Americas until Europeans brought it; machinery did not exist in the Americas until Europeans brought it; wheat and barley did not exist in the Americas until Europeans brought them; elephants did not exist in the Americas a the time of the civilizations in the BoM.
- The BoM says that Jesus was born in Jerusalem.
- The BoM says that Lehi and his sons, being Jewish, built a new Jewish Temple in the Americas. This could not be so, as they, being Jewish, knew that the only true temple could be in Jerusalem. There is no evidence that this temple ever existed in the Americas.